Dustin Poirier isn’t bothered by Conor McGregor’s latest Twitter attacks.
Poirier (28-6 MMA, 20-5 UFC) won out his high-profile trilogy with McGregor (22-6 MMA, 10-4 UFC) with a first-round TKO at UFC 264 in July that ended when his rival’s leg broke. Since then, “The Notorious” has been very active on social media, and has taken many shots at “The Diamond” in the process.
The latest exchange came on Monday, when McGregor once again went personal by bringing up Poirier’s wife and more. It kicked off the following back-and-forth between the pair (via Twitter):
On Tuesday, Poirier gave his thoughts on what McGregor had to say. He participated in an ESPN+ Q&A session hosted by UFC correspondent Laura Sanko, and was asked to reply to McGregor.
Poirier said McGregor’s antics and prodding don’t bother him, and theorized it’s a sign of the Irishman handling the fallout and recovery of his catastrophic leg injury very poorly.
“It doesn’t really bother me – I don’t really care,” Poirier said. “When I think about in hindsight, like today I was thinking about it like, ‘The guy’s probably losing his mind.’ He can’t really train. He’s got a hurt leg that he’s trying to rehab. Rent free. I’m just living rent free (in his head).”
Having edged out the trilogy 2-1, Poirier now looks forward to a likely lightweight title showdown with Charles Oliveira. McGregor, meanwhile, recently claimed his recovery is “ahead of schedule.”